This time just a small blog post to help people having the same problem as me. I was trying to enroll a Windows 10 device in Workspace ONE UEM and was unsuccessful.

The problem

The onboarding was initially done via the command-line enrollment and I noticed after the setup was done the device was not added in the Workspace ONE UEM admin console.

When I looked in the WS1 Hub log file location C:\ProgramData\AirWatch\UnifiedAgent\Logs, specifically log file DeviceEnrollment.log, I noticed the following error:

  • Mobile Device Management was blocked, possibly by Group Policy or the SetManagedExternally function

When I installed the agent manually, I saw the same error message:

The solution

After some digging on the internet, I found out the problem. It turned out to be pretty simple. In my case, the device had a registry setting configured which was disallowing MDM enrollment.

  • HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MDM

DisableRegistration” was set to “1“. Configuring this to “0” solved the problem:

Please note this could also be a GPO forcing this setting. However, this was not the case in my lab: